Family violence is ultimately about inequalities of power between women and men and the exercise of this power in order to control or dominate.
It can take many forms, including:
- physical or sexual abuse
- emotional or psychological abuse
- economic or financial abuse
- cultural or spiritual abuse
- threatening speech and behaviour
- other behaviours that control or dominate, causing fear for safety and wellbeing
- causing a child to witness any of the above behaviours.
Our specialist team works with victim-survivors to help them access the support and services they need for recovery.
This service may suit you if you are seeking:
- emotional support and material aid for short-term challenges after a period of crisis
- help to access secure housing, financial aid, mental health, treatment for alcohol and other drugs and gambling addiction, as well as other services
- support with court proceedings and other legal matters
- assistance and referrals for concerns with parenting or child development
- advice, information, and advocacy to support your recovery.
These services are provided at no cost to residents from Wodonga, with outreach to Corryong, Tallangatta, Tangambalanga, Kiewa, and Mount Beauty.
Please contact us for more information.
Other recommended support services
- Junction Support Services – Counselling, support, and group programs or for child/youth services – Phone 02 6043 7400.
- Centre Against Violence (CAV) – Case management and crisis recovery services to women and children affected by family violence (and both female/male clients seeking support regarding past/current sexual abuse) – Phone 03 5722 2203.
- Victim Assistance Program (VAP) – Phone 1300 362 739 or email VAPIntake@merrihealth.org.au.