Family violence is ultimately about inequalities of power between women and men and the exercise of this power in order to control or dominate.
It can take many forms, including:
- physical or sexual abuse
- emotional or psychological abuse
- economic or financial abuse
- cultural or spiritual abuse
- threatening speech and behaviour
- other behaviours that control or dominate, causing fear for safety and wellbeing
- causing a child to witness any of the above behaviours.
Our team works with victim-survivors to help them access the support and services they need for recovery.
This service may suit you if you are seeking:
- emotional support and material aid for short-term challenges after a period of crisis
- help to access secure housing, financial aid, mental health, treatment for alcohol and other drugs and gambling addiction, as well as other services
- support with court proceedings and other legal matters
- assistance and referrals for concerns with parenting or child development
- advice, information, and advocacy to support your recovery.
You can access this service via the Orange Door (link to https://www.orangedoor.vic.gov.au/):
Or you can visit the Orange Door at:
- 60 Reid Street in Wangaratta
- Upper Murray Family Care – 27-29 Stanley Street in Wodonga
The Orange Door is open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
This service is free to residents from Wodonga, Wangaratta and surrounding regions, including Corryong, Tallangatta, and Mount Beauty. No referral is required to access the service.
Other recommended support services
- Junction Support Services – Counselling, support, and group programs or for child/youth services – Phone 02 6043 7400.
- Centre Against Violence (CAV) – Case management and crisis recovery services to women and children affected by family violence (and both female/male clients seeking support regarding past/current sexual abuse) – Phone 03 5722 2203.
- Victim Assistance Program (VAP) – Phone 1800 244 323 or email VAP@anglicarevic.org.au.