magnifying-glass menu chevron-up chevron-down chevron-left chevron-right facebook linkedin links to instagram links to pinterest links to twitter links to vimeo links to youtube download right arrow close icon home icon contrast icon font size icon location pin printer publication

We provide an independent assessment of physical, medical, psychological, environmental and social needs.

This helps to determine the care and services an older person may require and eligibility for Commonwealth-subsidised aged care services including:

  • residential care
  • residential respite care
  • home care packages
  • flexible care.

The service is made up of a range of health professionals including nurses, social workers, occupational therapists, and physiotherapists.

An assessment takes between one to two hours and usually takes place at home. We ask questions about your health and wellbeing, including how you are managing and what help you receive from family and community services.

We will suggest the available care that best meets your needs and develop a care plan with you. Our aim is to maximise your independence while considering your safety and comfort.

If you agree, we may refer you to other services and supply them with information so you or your family can access the service when needed.

Most people are able to stay at home with help from community services such as District Nursing, Home Help, Meals on Wheels, and social groups, respite care and/or with the assistance of a home care package.

Go to My Aged Care for more information and other Commonwealth-funded aged care services.


This service is available for all older people with support needs.

Aboriginal people and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples are eligible from 50 years of age.

There is no cost for an ACAS assessment – An appointment will be made for the home visit to take place. If an Aged Care Assessment is required for an inpatient it will be conducted in the hospital.

We service the local government areas of Alpine Shire, Benalla Rural City, Indigo Shire, Mansfield Shire, Towong Shire, Rural City of Wangaratta, and the City of Wodonga.

Anyone can refer an eligible person to the Aged Care Assessment Service, including doctors, nurses, relatives, and friends, or you can refer yourself.

When you are referred to our service we will contact you and your family to make an appointment to visit. An interpreter can be arranged if required.

Make a referral

All referrals for ACAS can be made via My Aged Care.

More information

Frequently asked questions

Last Update: August 22nd, 2022