Gateway Health’s Needle and Syringe Program is an important public health initiative that prevents the spread of bloodborne viruses like HIV and Hepatitis C and reduces the harms associated with injecting drug use.
The program provides sterile injecting equipment including:
- Sterile needles and syringes
- Sharps disposable containers
- Alcohol swabs
- A safe point for used needle disposal
- Safer sex products
- Information on how to keep healthy and reduce the health risks of injecting
Our trained Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) clinicians coordinate the service, promoting safer injecting practices and providing information, education and referrals.
This is a free service available to anyone in the community who injects drugs and requires sterile injecting equipment, and/or requires safer sex products, such as condoms and lubricant.
There are no eligibility criteria to access the service, anyone who presents will receive access.
There are different options to access the service.
Visit one of our sites between 8.30am and 4pm Monday to Friday.
- 155 High Street Wodonga
- 45-47 Mackay Street Wangaratta
You will be offered pre-prepared packs of sterile needles, syringes, and sharps disposal containers. AOD can be contacted to provide access to wider equipment if required.
Book an appointment
Book a time to access the service.
- Wodonga – Call reception on 02 6022 8888
- Wangaratta – Call reception on 03 5723 2000
- Myrtleford – Call Wangaratta reception on 03 5723 2000
- Email – AODadmin@gatewayhealth.org.au
Each Gateway Health site offers externally located sharps disposal units. This allows people to dispose of used injecting equipment discreetly and at any time.
Safer sex products are available directly from all Gateway Health receptions. The reception staff will support you and ensure access is discreet and confidential.