Victims Assistance Program (VAP)
VAP provides support to any person who has experienced or witnessed a violent crime in Victoria.
Merri Health is now the Victims Assistance Program (VAP) provider.
Please phone 1300 362 739 for any enquiries or assistance.
VAP Case Managers assist victims of crime to manage and recover from the effects of the crime, with tailored support to meet individual needs. Case Managers can provide assistance with:
- Information about the criminal justice system and court processes;
- Access and support through the criminal justice system including:
- Communicating with police;
- Getting ready for and support at court;
- Preparing a Victim Impact Statement;
- Applying for financial assistance (VOCAT);
- Applying to the Victim's Register;
- Letters to the Parole Board;
- Referrals to counselling, therapeutic interventions, medical services etc;
- Practical day to day needs
If you are a primary victim of crime and have reported the crime to police you may be eligible for up to 7 counselling sessions. These sessions will be provided by an approved psychologist or social worker, at no cost to you.
Phone: 1300 362 739 (Merri Health 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday-Friday)
1800 819 817 (Victims of Crime Helpline, 8.00am - 11.00pm, 7 days a week)
TTY and interpreter services are available if required
If you require emergency assistance please contact Police on 000